Monday, February 26, 2007

Project H20


Project H2O

Trying to stay away from the norm I decided to get back in the old scuba gear and take on some underwater photos of our swim team.

Equipment used: Nikon 8700 with ikelite housing and a 125 substrobe is all we had to use, one of my coworkers (BOB) is a scuba diver who likes photographing fish so I asked to borrow his equipment, he also came along for the shoot, as well as a good fiend of mine (Tim).

After swimming around and taking some test shots we found that lighting the subject consistantly wasnt gonna happen with just 1 strobe, so we took the approach of just lighting from the side. The example here was taken at iso 50, shutter 40, f2.8, we lit him from his right side and pretty much full power about 1 foot under the water, I was on the pool floor which was 8 feet deep.





This second photo was the idea of the students, they had this poster of Michael Phelps from the Olympic swim team walking on the pool floor with weights. So I said sure we can try it, once again the setting were all the same, I had Tim snorkling on top with the light following the swimmer while I was underneath trying to get the clear shot.

I plan on doing something else with the Girls Water Polo Team in the upcoming future.



No comments: